Future Proofing Healthcare
The Breast Cancer Index
The Breast Cancer Index takes a closer look at the patient journey through the lens of one disease. This index score shows how systems support breast cancer patients at five stages in the patient journey: Prevention & Diagnosis, Treatment, Outcomes & Survivorship, Patient Focus, and Palliative Care.
- Prevention and Diagnosis evaluates the actions taken by healthcare systems to prevent and better diagnose breast cancer.
- Treatment assesses the availability of healthcare solutions necessary for the treatment of breast cancer.
- Outcomes and Survivorship evaluates the survival rate and outcomes of diagnosed breast cancer patients.
- Patient Focus follows the ability of a health system to meet patients’ needs throughout the patient journey.
- Palliative Care focuses on evaluating the end of life care of breast cancer patients and assesses health system solutions to improve the quality of life for the terminally ill.
A steering panel of healthcare experts has rigorously guided the building of the Indices to make the final tool as neutral, relevant and wide-reaching as possible, and to drive a future-focused conversation. This group of experts in patient care, health policy, sustainable healthcare and health innovation guided the design of the Index by agreeing on the methodology, directing the data gathering, validating the strength of the sources and signing off on the final tool. They have each contributed expert commentary on the results.
Professor of Oncology and Director of Medicine
Former Tánaiste and former Minister for Health, Ireland
Associated Partner Copenhagen Institute for Futures Studies and expert panel member for FutureProofing Healthcare: The Sustainability Index
Chief Executive Officer